What Is Core Aeration?
- Core aeration is a mechanical service that pulls small cores (plugs) of grass and soil from the lawn. The cores are spaced at specific intervals, and are approximately 3″ deep.
Why Should I Aerate?
Aeration has several benefits:
- Reduces Soil Compaction
- Increases Oxygen Exchange With Soil
- Enhanced Soil Water Uptake
- Improved Fertilizer Uptake
- Enhanced Drought and Heat Stress Tolerance
- Thatch Breakdown
- Stronger Turfgrass Roots
Without annual aeration, a compacted lawn will have more difficulty absorbing water, oxygen, and nutrients, and the roots will become shallow. This makes the lawn vulnerable to disease and drought. A thinner lawn will more more prone to new weed growth.
What Should I Do After Aeration?
The cores pulled during the aeration are left in place. Do not rake or remove them. Within 7-14 days, these cores will break down and disappear into the lawn.
Immediately after aeration is the best time to seed your lawn. This increases turf density and diversity. We offer over-seeding as well as a granular compost topdressing service, which enhances the microbial activity in the soil. When these services are combined, we get excellent results and a lush, healthy lawn!